Received this from the Arts for Learning organization. VERY important information about YOUR arts budget. Take action now! Contact the Arts Action Alliance- firstname.lastname@example.org
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -
Dear Friends and Supporters of Arts for Learning,
We need your help today! The proposed County budget eliminates $2.3 million of support for the grants programs of the Department of Cultural Affairs. These are important dollars that go toward the day-to-day work that Arts for Learning is engaged in; serving the more than 10,000 children we reach. These proposed cuts will impact our organization as well as many others in our community. If enacted, this would reduce grants by about 25% to more than 400 cultural organizations. Combined with last year’s budget cut, this would be a total reduction of about 40% to each grant or a loss of $3.7 million in cultural grants funds.
Here are some important actions you can take to help save the County’s cultural arts budget:
· WRITE. Personalize and send e-mails, faxes and letters to every County Commissioner, the Mayor and the County Manager about how the arts impact your life. (A sample letter and County contact list are below).
· CALL. Call every key County official and emphasize specifically how important County arts support is to you.
· TESTIFY. Attend and register to speak at the two upcoming County Commission Budget Hearings where the County’s budget will be discussed and finalized for the coming year. Both Budget Hearings are being held at 5:01 pm on Monday, September 13 and Thursday September 23 in the County Commission Chamber, 111 N.W. 1st Street, 2nd Floor. Crowds are expected so get there early and be prepared to wait to make your case. You will have two minutes to speak. Please wear a black shirt and Arts Action Alliance will be on site to provide you with bright ARTS SUPPORT stickers for you to wear.
If you have questions about this process or need more information please contact the Arts Action Alliance at email@example.com.
[Please personalize this draft message – remember County Commissioners have told us that your personal stories have the most impact. I also suggest using just two or three of the bullet points included below as examples.]
Dear [ _______,]
I am writing to urge you to support the restoration of the proposed 25% cut to the Department of Cultural Affairs’ grants programs. I know that you have tough choices to make about next year’s budget but please know that the arts are part of the solution for re-energizing our economy and making our community great.
Here are a few important facts:
· Every dollar of County arts support leverages $27 dollars of other funds.
· Arts organizations generate a billion dollars in local economic impact annually.
· 12 million people attend arts events every year in Miami-Dade County.
· Other businesses depend on the arts. People who attend arts events spend more than a half a billion dollars, parking their cars, eating in local restaurants and shopping.
· Cultural activities provide more than 2 million experiences every year to the children of our county.
· Our community’s outstanding arts activities are giving Miami-Dade a worldwide competitive edge in attracting tourism and business.
Those are the economic facts. I also want to tell you about how important County support for the arts is to me [(or to my organization). Tell your story here].
What you do now will have an effect on the entire course of our economy and our community. I am counting on your support for maintaining funding for the County’s investments in the arts.
Thank you for your help.
Miami Dade County Board of County Commissioners 2010
Dennis C. Moss, District 9, Chairman
Stephen P. Clark Center
111 NW First Street – Suite 220, Miami, FL 33128
Phone: (305) 375-4832
Fax: (305) 372-6011
Barbara J. Jordan, District 1
Downtown office: (305) 375-5694
District Office: (305) 474-3011
Fax: (305) 372-6028
Dorrin D. Rolle, District 2
Downtown office: (305) 375-4833
District Office: (305) 694-2779
Fax: (305) 375-4843
Audrey M. Edmonson, District 3
Downtown office: (305) 375-5393
District Office: (305) 636-2331
Fax: (305) 372-6104
Sally A. Heyman, District 4
Downtown office: (305) 375-5128
District Office: (305) 787-5999
Bruno A, Barreiro, District 5
Main office: (305) 643-8525
Miami Beach District Office: (305) 673-7443
Fax: (305) 643-8528
Rebeca Sosa, District 6
Downtown office: (305) 375-5696
District Office: (305) 267-6377
Fax: (305) 372-6090
Carlos A. Gimenez, District 7
Downtown office: (305) 375-5680
District Office: (305) 669-4003
Fax: (305) 372-6103
Katy Sorenson, District 8
Downtown office: (305) 375-5218
District Office: (305) 378-6677
Fax: (305) 372-6073
Javier D. Souto, District 10
Downtown office: (305) 375-4835
District Office: (305) 222-2116
Fax: (305) 375-3456
Joe A. Martinez, District 11
Downtown office: (305) 375-5511
District Office: (305) 552-1155
Fax: (305) 375-5883
Jose “Pepe” Diaz, District 12
Downtown office: (305) 375-4343
District Office: (305) 599-1200
Fax: (305) 372-6109
Natacha Seijas, District 13
Downtown office: (305) 375-4831
District Office: (305) 820-8571
Email: not available via email
Fax: (305) 375-2011
Miami Dade County Mayor
Mayor Carlos Alvarez
Stephen P. Clark Center
111 N.W. 1st Street, 29th Floor, Miami, FL 33128
Phone: (305) 375-5071
Fax: (305) 375-3618
Miami Dade County Manager
George M. Burgess
Stephen P. Clark Center
111 N.W. 1st Street, Suite 2910, Miami, FL 33128
Phone: (305) 375-1880
Fax: (305) 375-1262
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - — – - -